Sunday 1 April 2012

High Noon (well, 1450 to be precise)

So what happened at ten to three this afternoon? It doesn’t matter; what matters are the various possible blog posts it provoked, and I settled on this one.

I want to say something to young women – not by way of advice, but by way of a plea. Here goes, then.

Not all young men are testosterone-charged sexual predators. A small minority are sensitive, caring types who want to treat you with respect and courtesy. They want to be honest and gentle with you. They might even want to venerate you. Such young men are easily hurt. I should know; I used to be one. And the problem is this:

It was always my experience that young women tend to toy with male affections. It seems to be an ingrained trait, so much so that many young women don’t even know they’re doing it. It’s instinctive. It’s one of their principle weapons in the war of the sexes, and it’s a perfectly fair one when dealing with testosterone-charged sexual predators. So mostly it’s OK. But it causes the sensitive type unwarranted distress, and I would ask you to be more careful with that type.

It doesn’t matter with older men. Be a Lolita for all you’re worth with them. Older men have the experience to recognise the signs and switch off before you do too much damage – or at least, they should. So you can leave it to them to know when to walk away.

But be careful with the young ones, eh? Treat them differently; treat them carefully. Give like for like, or leave them alone.

4 comments:

Bree T Donovan said...

What? Seriously? You put forth that not all men are 'testosterone-charged sexual predators.' But, then in your experience, most young girls tend to toy with men's emotions- 'ingrained trait'. Doing so as if pre-programed.

Come on, JJ. You're smarter than that! Any woman could easily say the reverse of what you have, and neither one would be true in the overall experiences of most people.

How bout we just all try to be kind to each other?

Seems easier than trying to assess the whole, or most of the male/female psyches.

I'm sure you'll have some rational correction as to what I wrote, so I'll save ya the time. I obviously misunderstood what you wrote. ;-)

JJ said...

I'll stick with the generalisation, Bree - based on personal experience, observation and anecdotal evidence. It is a generalisation after all. Maybe I'm just not smart enough.

Bree T Donovan said...

You know I like to challenge you, JJ.

Maybe that's what OLD women do to men!

I don't think any of us are smart when it comes to figuring out this love, life and relationship thing.

"Better to have loved, blah, blah, blah..."

JJ said...

No worries, Bree. I find myself constantly challenged by women of all ages, one way or another. Isn't that what Eve was made for?