Sunday 22 April 2012

A Lesson on Ideals.

Tonight’s Kate Bush session produced a surprising and not at all pleasant experience. I set another of her albums to run in one tab while I did other things in others, and I found myself suffering a curious and deep discomfort.

I couldn’t understand it. Never For Ever is an excellent album full of excellent tracks, and my high opinion of Kate Bush must be obvious by now. Eventually I decided it must be an association thing, so I thought back to what I was doing when I had that album originally and listened to it frequently. And there was the key.

At that time I was trying to enjoy life in a way that ran counter to my high ideals, ideals I’d had since childhood. I was trying to fit in with the received attitudes of the times; I was trying to belong, and I wasn’t being true to myself. In short, I greatly dislike the person I was then – or was at least trying to be. And therein lies the conflict and resultant discomfort: reliving who I was then and setting it next to who I am now.

Living up to your ideals sets you adrift. It alienates you, and alienation can be uncomfortable at times. But it isn’t as uncomfortable as trying to live without them.

No comments: