Saturday 28 April 2012

A Difficult Choice.

There was a little dead bird on the road earlier, obviously squashed by the wheels of a vehicle. I gave it my best wishes and moved on. A few yards away there was another one, alive this time and looking very unsure of itself. It had the markings of a young robin and it was apparent that these two babies had fledged prematurely. I considered picking up the live one and taking it home. I wondered whether I could rear it successfully on oats and bird seed.

But then I remembered hearing that prematurely fledged birds should be left in situ, since the parents are aware of them and will continue to feed them. I turned around and saw an adult robin just a few feet away, apparently watching us. I walked off and saw the adult approach the baby.

Maybe I did the right thing; I hope so. Whether the little one will escape the attention of predators and the destructive indifference of traffic, I’ll probably never know. But I hope I did the right thing.

No comments: