Thursday 12 April 2012

Unmanly Behaviour and the Smell of Chemicals.

Dave the mechanic, Nigel’s colleague, is a well travelled man. He usually heads east to south Asia, China or Australia, where he buys a cheap motor bike and then sets off to explore places off the beaten track. This means that he is aware of, and maybe even influenced by, far more cultures than most people are.

He told me today that he doesn’t like driving Nigel’s vehicles because Nigel uses a lot of chemical air fresheners, and Dave isn’t keen on the smell of chemicals. I concurred, and then he went on to say

‘I know it sounds soft, but I use incense sticks at home.’

‘Why is that soft?’ I asked.

At that point, Dave felt the apparent need to revert to type.

‘Well, it isn’t very manly, is it?’

Do I need to comment?

*  *  *

The Red Renault is currently in Nigel’s tender care for the fitting of a new wheel bearing and starter motor, so I came home in his latest van. It’s the same make and model as old Frothgar. Remember him? He’s gone to an eternity of feasting in Valhalla now, but his replacement (I suppose he should be called Frothgarssen, but Frothy 2 will suffice) is a worthy successor. The only problem is that he reeks of chemical air fresheners.

No comments: