Sunday 22 April 2012

The Who Reconsidered.

I didn’t go along with them when they sang ‘I want to die before I get old.’

But lately I’ve been coming to think that I don’t have the means or the mentality to be old. I don’t have the family connections to wrap me in cotton wool, I’m not at all accepting of physical or mental degradation, and I’ve lived all my life for the seeking of things that old men can’t have.

It seems to me that being old is about being settled – physically, mentally and emotionally. I would be happy to settle in one spot, and where I live at the moment seems as good as any – for the moment. But the rest? No. I’ve always been impulsive, impatient and inquisitive, and I see no prospect of that changing. So unless I can find something to want that old men can have, well...

And just in case you’re wondering: no, I haven’t given up yet.

*  *  *

While I was typing this, that figure passed across my office window again. Just as before, the dogs barked prior to my seeing it. And just as before, there was nobody visible when I went out to check. Maybe it was the same person whose shadow stood next to mine on the lane the other night. Weird, eh?

No comments: