Tuesday 24 April 2012

Not as Easy as it Used to Be.

I finally received my new tenancy agreement today, so, suitably bolstered, I decided to start doing the photographs of the local sights. (I’m not sure whether to include myself in any of these shots. I’ve often been greeted with the exclamation ‘what a sight!’ but I don’t think that counts.)

Anyway, today was warm and dry with some sunshine, so off I trudged, heavily laden with my old bag of camera equipment and a tripod. I got to the first port of call and set everything up. And then I discovered that the camera wasn’t working. I need to cut a long story short here. The problem was with the little circular screw-in plate that covers the battery housing. Attempts to correct it only compounded the issue and I was forced to pick everything up and trudge home again to get tools to sort the damn thing out. (I was spitting expletives loudly at the bloody universe the whole way home!) And then I trudged all the way back to start doing what I’d originally started doing an hour earlier.

What was I saying about the day starting badly?

The rest of the shoot went OK, but I realised how glad I am that I didn’t have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the days when I did this sort of thing for a living. I would often walk ten or more miles in hill country in those days carrying that lot, and hardly give it a second thought. Today I did about two and I’m fit to drop.

*  *  *

In lighter vein:

I saw a cow playing with a pheasant today. At least, the cow was playing. The poor old pheasant was just trying to run away.

No comments: