Saturday 28 April 2012

Letting the Side Down.

I caught the very end of one of my favourite films tonight – Powell and Pressburger’s A Matter of Life and Death.

Peter has just been given an extended lease of life by the celestial court, mainly by virtue of June’s willingness to sacrifice herself. He wakes up to see her smiling down at him.

‘Hello,’ he says. ‘Hello,’ she replies.

‘We won.’

‘I know.’

End.

At that point I fill up, thereby demonstrating just what an affront to the concept of masculinity I am. I put it down to having my moon in Pisces. If only I’d dropped in a couple of hours earlier or later, I might have been completely normal.

Or maybe it’s what comes of not having a woman around. It tends to scramble your concept of proper gender roles.

(I like gender roles, much to the chagrin of the feminists. I think there’s something organic about them.)

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I love that you say there is something organic about them. I agree. LOL.

JJ said...

I like the idea of the masculine:feminine connection. Two poles - equal but different - coming together to create an energy. Functioning together as a partnership, each contributing what they're best at with neither being dominant. I used to think that was an old fashioned view, but now I just think it's natural.

Unfortunately, men throughout the ages have used their superior physical size and strength to assume the dominant position, and the Judaic religious tradition has clearly encouraged that process. That's what I think we have to get away from by recognising and respecting the equal but different power of the feminine.

This is what puts me at odds with old style feminism, which wants to promote the view that men and women are the same. I don't believe they are.