Saturday 28 April 2012

Questioning the Value of Choice.

I just watched part of a TV programme in which all the contributors were unanimous in their support of one of the uncontested axioms of modern times:  that in certain areas of life – home entertainment was the one most frequently cited – the greatness of modern technology is that it gives us choice, choice to have whatever we want, precisely when we want it.

Well of course it is. Or is it? Let me put the simple question:

Which gives you the greater thrill: getting that train set you always wanted, beautifully gift-wrapped on Christmas morning, or being able to go out and get a train set whenever you want?

I’ve long held the nagging suspicion that the provision of endless choice, so strongly promoted in the modern world, is one of the things that’s making it all so damn plastic and boring because it takes away the thrill of the gift and the magic of the unexpected.

I remember making sure I was at home at a certain time on Saturday night to watch the latest episode of The Avengers. It was the only way to see it, so anticipating the moment when the music would start and the titles roll was very much part of the thrill. Now that it’s available on DVD to watch whenever I want, it’s become ordinary and I can’t be bothered.

No comments: