Friday 20 April 2012

Favouring Non-Alignment.

The Avaaz people just sent me a petition to sign. It seems the President of Uzbekistan has ordered the covert removal of women’s uteruses as a means of forced sterilisation, and Avaaz wants the US to stop funding the bastard until he sees the light. I agree; I think his policy is a terrible thing and I signed the petition. Where I fall out with Avaaz is over their reference to this as ‘a women’s rights issue.’

This is not a women’s rights issue, any more than abortion is a women’s rights issue. The denial of the right to motherhood and the killing of foetuses are universal issues. They’re issues central to human rights and the sanctity of life. They affect all of us equally. They have nothing to do with gender politics until the totalitarian tendency among the liberal alter-establishment seeks to make them so. It might be asked 'if this is a women's rights issue, why not only send the petition to women?'

It gets my goat that politically correct, right-on liberals have to hang every form of abuse onto the peg of one of their narrow shibboleths. Those shibboleths are generally worthy, but they must also be flexible and not allowed to rule beyond reason. It irritates me beyond measure that any honest attempt to take issue with any detail of their sanctimonious posturing leads to howling, hysterical accusations of right wing bigotry. I’ve seen it in action. I’ve been personally affected by it and fought my case with logic - usually unsuccessfully. It’s ugly and irrational, and it’s why I have no more time for narrow minded liberals than I have for narrow minded conservatives. The leaders of both tend to be ridiculously polarised and their ranks too full of sheep.

And I resisted the urge to swear.

No comments: