Sunday 8 April 2012

The Great Nectar Scam.

One of the major retail loyalty schemes in Britain is called Nectar. Several big retail chains give Nectar points on purchases, and redeem them against sales. I have a Nectar card myself because the supermarket I use gives them. I allow them to accumulate throughout the year and have about £30 to spend on goodies at Christmas. The fact is, however, that I never buy anything just to get points. I only ever buy what I would have bought anyway, and so the points are a bonus.

But now, one of the big insurance companies is running a series of TV ads in which the principal selling angle is that taking out a policy with them will bring 1,000 Nectar points winging your way. The fact is played up to the hilt with flags and stars and cheering crowds, and the message is unequivocal:

1,000 Nectar points is a REALLY BIG DEAL.

Well, actually, it isn’t. A Nectar point is worth ½p, which makes 1,000 worth £5. So if you take out a policy with this company, they’ll give you the equivalent of a free pizza. That’s a big deal? I wonder how many people have worked it out.

No comments: