Wednesday 25 April 2012

More Hints as to Who I Am.

I saw a man around the same age as me in the supermarket today. He struck me as being who I might have been had I fallen out with this culture rather earlier in life. As it was, we had little in common – at least on the surface.

He was well overweight, with long, greasy, grey hair and an untrimmed grey beard. He was wearing an old duffle coat and walking boots, and carried a huge backpack. Maybe it contained all his worldly possessions. He stood next to me in the gents and broke wind several times, and he didn’t wash his hands when he’d finished.

So, as I said...

*  *  *

On the way home the radio station played Jupiter, from Holst’s Planets Suite. Jupiter is my planetary ruler, and I love that piece. It’s the one that says ‘Shall I be serious or frivolous? Let’s try both’ and finishes on ‘What the hell? Let’s have fun.’ I turned the radio well up, and it finished just as I was pulling into my garage. It wouldn’t surprise me if they heard it as far away as Mill Lane. Sorry.

3 comments:

Strange Girl Press said...

This made me laugh! I'm still smiling. I've never heard Jupiter before, but i'm going to look it up. 'Hey Jupiter' by Tori Amos is good. Not sure if you'd like it though. I'm going to post it for you anyway.

Strange Girl Press said...

on Anemone.

JJ said...

I'll make a point of listening after midnight, Andrea, when my bandwidth is unrestricted. (That's one of the disadvantages of living in the countryside - big bucks for big internet access.)