Thursday 19 April 2012

A Troubled Walk.

Tonight's walk was oddly disquieting. Everything was normal until I was about half way between the pub and Sarah’s house on Mill Lane. I saw what was undoubtedly a torch moving around the front of the property, one of those modern ones with a blue light. I assumed that somebody had come out the house and was maybe looking for something. No mystery there, but it was something I hadn’t seen before.

A few seconds later, something dashed across the lane a couple of feet in front of me and disappeared through the hedge on the other side of the road. It was too dark to identify the creature, but I assumed it was probably a fox, since it was about the right size. Again, nothing odd about that, but it was something else I hadn’t seen before.

The next occurrence was a bit stranger. As I was passing the Lady’s house, I distinctly heard a female voice utter one syllable – as though somebody had started to say something, but changed their mind.

...and the best was yet to come...

On my way back I was passing the houses at the bottom of my lane. A single security light was on and it was casting my shadow against the hedgerow. I looked at it and saw a second, bigger shadow next to mine. It was just as dark and just as ‘solid’ as my own. I turned around expecting there to be somebody at my shoulder, but there was nobody. When I turned back, the second shadow was gone. I understand light and shadow; I used to be a pro photographer. The situation was such that there could logically only have been one shadow. So what was throwing the second one? And where did it go? I expect there's a rational explanation, but I don't know what it is.

No comments: