Wednesday 11 April 2012

A Natural Progression.

I’ve never really been career minded, preferring to take things to a level that satisfied me before moving on to something else. Most of what I’ve done is eminently forgettable, but the two activities I most identified with were landscape photography and writing fiction.

I was thinking back tonight and realised how different the two things are. Photography is a process of looking outward and capturing the external; writing fiction involves looking inward and mining the internal. In computer terms, you might say that photography is a downloading process, whereas writing is uploading.

And yet one naturally followed the other. If my bits of fiction have any merit at all, I know what a debt they owed to the sensitive eye and perceptive faculty I developed as a photographer. Life has an odd way of working out when you follow your natural inclinations.

No comments: