Saturday 21 April 2012

High Life in Halifax.

Getting a visit from Halifax, Nova Scotia reminded me of an incident when I was seventeen and a naval officer cadet. I told the full story in a blog post back in the Middle Ages some time, but the bare bones warrant repetition.

Our ship was visiting Halifax as part of a NATO review. A fellow cadet and I managed to organise a blind date with two local girls, and took them out for a meal. One was fat and one was thin, but they both ate like horses and we were paying for the food. They said very little. Too busy eating, I suppose.

When the plates and our pockets were empty, we went and sat on a green space overlooking the harbour to watch a fireworks display. The girls remained silent, until one of them said:

‘We’re going now. Thanks for the food.’

And off they went.

We learn something every day, don’t we?

No comments: