Friday 27 April 2012

A Night of Things Invisible.

I dreamt that I was alone in a building that seemed to be a suite of offices. Everything was white and spotlessly clean – the walls, floors, furniture, everything, all except some items of indeterminate shape that blocked the passages between the furniture in places and had to be stepped over. They were grey, and reminded me of children’s play equipment.

I went to a higher floor where everything was also white, but there was no furniture; that part of the building looked unoccupied, and there were men walking around in those white, plastic scene-of-crime suits, complete with hoods. They seemed unaware of my presence. The white doors were all locked, and I sensed that there was something behind them that ‘we’ weren’t meant to know about. This was a place of dark, hidden secrets lurking behind a pristine exterior.

OK, so I’m paranoid. But then I woke up and needed a quick trip to the bathroom.

It was still dark, so I switched on the bedside lamp. It was ten past four, and I couldn’t understand why I felt cold. I still have winter weight bedding on my bed, and the last few nights I’ve been feeling a little too warm. I got out of bed to find the room uncommonly cold, which was odd because I still have the thermostatically controlled heater running in that room. I made the trip to the bathroom quickly, feeling all the time that there was something around – something unpleasant but with no power to threaten. I’ve had that feeling a few times in my bedroom. It’s woken me up once or twice, and I’ve clearly sensed where this ‘something’ stands: over in the corner by the wardrobe.

I got well under the sheets for warmth, and went back to sleep.

No comments: