Thursday 19 January 2012

The Trouble with Stars.

The portents were right on this occasion.

When I was a kid I loved plasticine. The fascination I had with it was both sensuous and tactile, so much so that I used to put it in my mouth and chew it. How much closer can you get to something than consuming it?

And that’s the problem with stars: you can't get close to them. All you can do is gaze at them in awe from a distance until they drop beneath the horizon, or a cloud blocks the view, or you simply stop watching and go home. It’s a one way street with stars: some inner part of us needs them, but they have no need of us.

Lunchtime at last.

3 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

You have to take a breath and imbibe them and hold them there a moment Jeff. The chewing of plasticine,aah that and my mum's lipsticks were my favourite chomp.
I love the sheep Mr B, looks like where I am right now.

JJ said...

The comment that was left on this post hasn't shown up! What's going on, Google?

JJ said...

I found the above comment - in the Spam box? Why did Google put it there?

So, the hills are the foothills of the Cheviots in Northumberland, Mel. And the the picture wasn't filtered; the sheep really were that colour, or rather the light was (same thing, of course.)