Tuesday 24 January 2012

An Intriguing Encounter.

I got accosted on my walk tonight. I stood on the verge to let a car come past me, only it didn’t. It stopped. And then the passenger side window slid down, like passenger side windows do in films. That’s when you know the director intends a sense of menace; it’s all about putting distance between the driver and the accosted one.

(Accosted one. Gulp.)

There was a woman in the car who engaged me in general conversation, like she knew me or something. I must admit, there was something familiar about her, but there was also something about her hair...

It wasn’t long, but it was dark. Thank heavens she wasn’t wearing a long white dress, I say.

‘I have to go now,’ she said suddenly. ‘If you don’t move away from my passenger door, I’ll slide the window back up and your arms will fall off. Just see if I don’t!’

I made some of that up, just by way of being peculiar. But isn’t it a weird world when the best thing that happened to you today was being accosted by a strange woman of ethereal beauty – with dark and grown up hair – who happened to look familiar?

No comments: