Monday 16 January 2012

Sherlock: Epilogue.

Bath time musing was devoted to two subjects tonight (enough to stop me falling asleep.)

One was the formulation of a theory regarding the Sherlock subterfuge. It’s obvious enough that the clue lies with Holmes telling Molly ‘I want you,’ and telling Watson to ‘stay where you are.’ A general explanation seemed simple enough with a little thought, but there was one pitfall which I’ll bet Pemberton (or whoever writes the next episode) won’t cover. On reflection, it surprises me a little that they showed Holmes alive and well at the end – Conan Doyle didn’t do that after the fight at the Reichenbach Falls. But of course, he had intended to kill off the character, and was persuaded to explain his survival and bring him back in order to meet public demand. I just wonder whether it would have been better to leave Sherlock invisible, but display a ‘...to be continued’ note on the screen.

The second is private, but if you want a clue, think two composers and a poet.

I must be in the mood for mysteries tonight.

No comments: