Friday 27 January 2012

Bad Words and Kids.

I’m a fan of the Stanley Holloway Albert series of monologues. The third is called Albert and the ’Eadsman, and tells the story of his visit to the Tower of London with his parents.

They didn’t think much to the building
Tweren’t what they’d been led to suppose
And the ‘Bad Word’ Tower didn’t impress ’em
They said Blackpool had got one of those!

--------------------------------------

My mother had a profound dislike of the term ‘eh?’

What would you like for lunch, Jeffrey?

Eh?

Horses eat it twice a day! Say ‘pardon’ instead. I asked you what you wanted for lunch.

--------------------------------------

And on the subject of childhood, I sometimes take a walk to M’Lady S’s house during daylight hours to see whether she’s working in the garden and I can talk to her. I did so today and she wasn’t, as usual, so I came home again. It amused me to think I was behaving like a kid going to see whether my friend Sarah is coming out to play. Is that such a bad thing?

No comments: