Monday 16 January 2012

Rambles on the Ramble.

I was cold on my walk tonight, which is unusual. I think tonight is probably the coldest of the winter so far.

But coldness of the body is perhaps easier to bear than coldness of the spirit. Imagine my mortification when M’Lady S told me: ‘I can see you sitting by a coal fire.’ Such a statement has one anticipating the pipe and slippers joke. Poor JJ. It’s a shame for me, isn’t it?

I gave a spirited rendition of The Parting Glass – for the benefit of the little people, you understand – whilst walking down the lane from my house. (That was before I became too cold to sing.) There was no applause.

And I had a chilling thought when I walked out of the house into the blackness of a moonless night. I imagined walking around the corner of the wall, and there at the end of the path, held in the beam of the torch, is a woman in a long white dress, with long black hair, standing stock still and staring intensely into my eyes. That’s spooky.

Did I ever write a post about my lifelong fear of mad women? (I’m talking Mrs Rochester, not Margaret Thatcher.) I used to have a recurring nightmare about one when I was a little boy. And I can’t think of a suitable joke.

Time to get wet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it so odd. I have spent so many years of my life thinking no one understood me and my complex ways. But then I meet this friendly man on the lanes and despite our rare opportunities to talk I feel as though he entirely relates to many of my norms and values! The thing is, he says he finds it embarrassing that one should say 'I can imagine you Infront of a coal fire' but the fact is, you should feel quite the contrary! Its my favourite place, I can sit there for hours and sometimes believe I have no worries in the world! Y p.s all apologies more than accepted! X

JJ said...

Yo, Sarah!!

That was just a JJ blogging joke. (Weird sense of humour.)

And Thank You!