Friday 6 January 2012

Simple Pleasures.

I was watching the film Ratatouille last night, and thinking about how all those fancy foods they dish up in fancy restaurants leave me cold. I’m no epicure, that’s for certain. That sort of thing is a pointless waste of money to me. So I took to thinking about what sorts of food I do like, and the first three that came to mind were:

1) A bag of chips from a proper chip shop (RIP) eaten out in the street on a frosty night.

2) A lettuce and mayo sandwich.

3) Thick slices of toast liberally buttered, and especially so if the bread was toasted over the embers of a coal fire.

And when you’re as poor as I’ve mostly been, it’s good to be so easily pleased.

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Add some bacon and tomato to that lettuce and mayo sandwich! I know you don't eat meat. Just wanted to say something...

JJ said...

As a kid, my very, very favourite food was bacon and tomato sandwiches. I'm too fond of pigs these days, though.

And thanks. I'll drop a reply to your e-mail shortly.