Friday 20 January 2012

A Rare Day and a Bottle of Beer.

Do you know what? I’m in a rare good mood today. Don’t know why, since there’s no obvious reason for it. These things just seem to happen occasionally, so we might as well enjoy them when they do.

(Actually, there might be a reason for my good mood. The Woman in America is showing her mettle; she’s demonstrating that she’s not only a scintillating, beguiling personality, but also a damn fine person. Having somebody like that in your life has to be good, right?)

So anyway, I’ve had this bottle of Bombardier premium English ale sitting on the bookcase in my office since before Christmas. I need to keep a good level of control over alcohol, because I’m rather fond of the stuff and it could do me some damage if I allowed it to get too big for its boots. I make rules about how much I allow myself to drink, and when I allow myself to do it. The bottle of Bombardier wasn’t fitting in with the regime, which is why it’s been sitting there for about a month.

I just rebelled.

‘If you want that bottle of beer, JJ, just drink the f***ing thing! Forget your rules and regimes, laudable though they may be, and go with the desire for once. When it’s gone it won’t be able to tempt you any more, will it? Then you can go back to your rules. Makes sense? Good. Makes sense. Get on with it.’

So I’m having a drink before dinner. It’s a beautiful dark red colour and tastes wonderful.

(So when am I going to finish up that bottle of Royal Lochnagar 12-year-old single malt? The next time I’m in a good mood, I suppose. Don’t hold your breath waiting for the celebratory post.)

No comments: