Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Superiority of Oriental Madness.

What I said in the previous post about my fear of mad women – I just realised it’s the reason why The Audition is a very rare example of a horror film I find truly horrific. The female protagonist is so beautiful, so still, so deliberate, so devoid of emotion while she tortures the poor guy lying immobilised on the floor.

The genuinely frightening mad woman isn’t the one who runs around shrieking and setting the bedroom ablaze. That’s the impoverished Hollywood-style version, a la Fatal Attraction. It’s the one who looks anything but mad while she’s doing the most hideously mad things.

I reckon the Japanese understand mad women. They have the best of them. Must remember to keep my distance if ever I encounter one.

No comments: