Friday 27 January 2012

Menacing Moon.

The young crescent moon sitting low in the western sky tonight startled me. It looked menacing. I’ve ascribed many characters to the moon over the years, but ‘menacing’ was never one of them.

I tried to work out why, and all I could come up with were two unusual aspects. It looked bigger than I expected – a lot bigger than it did last night. It gave the impression of coming closer, and that suggests a hint of menace even though I know that moons do tend to look bigger when they’re close to the horizon. It was also lit around the bottom edge, so it didn’t have the usual ‘man in the moon’ look about it. My first thought was to recall the pendulum blade in the Roger Corman version of The Pit and the Pendulum.

It’s obviously just me; I’m seeing menace and other negative connotations in nearly everything at the moment. If only I could get a complete night’s sleep; I think I’ve had one so far this year. Must be all this excitement I’m getting as life plays hide and seek. Life is high and life is low. Life does come and life does go. Life is quick and life is slow. Could I fly without it? No. Don’t think so. Don’t know.

Changing direction.

Should I go and get a couple of buckets of horse manure from Sarah’s stable one day soon? Mmm...

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I love eerie moons the most, especially as the dark moon approaches. Also, the large ones that loom, wish i could have seen it.

Roses?

JJ said...

This one loomed, Mel, and I still say it looked like an instrument of execution.