Monday 12 November 2012

Seeing the Creature.

I thought I saw the occasional veiled light among the trees tonight. I’m sure I didn’t, but it isn’t advisable at such moments to remember the séance scene from Night of the Demon, when Professor Harrington’s disembodied voice cries out ‘It’s in the trees! It’s coming!’

Kate Bush liked that line so much she included it in a song. I wonder if she goes for walks around the lanes at night.

I can heartily recommend that film, by the way. The only problem with it is that there was some dispute over whether or not to show the demon, and the wrong side won. Spielberg did the same in Jaws when what is obviously a big mechanical toy shark is supposedly biting Robert Shaw in half, thereby reducing the remainder of the film to the level of an also ran. Good job it’s nearly at the end, as it is in Night of the Demon, so go for it.

No comments: