Sunday 25 November 2012

Is It Nigh?

Anyone who has seen Peter Weir’s film The Last Wave will have some idea of what it’s like in Britain at the moment. We’ve had so much rain over the summer and autumn that the land is saturated. It only takes an hour or two of light stuff to set the lane running again, and tonight there was even a pond a little further down. I saw a car drive through it – slowly. It was the only car I saw while out walking; it seems the residents of The Shire weren’t venturing out much. This quantity of rain begins to feel apocalyptic, and I’m wondering whether I should put a glass of sherry and a mince pie out for the Aboriginal when he calls. (They materialise in your house, you know. Most off-putting.)

2 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I saw that movie and what a bizarre feeling surrounding you. I know you haven't done anything to incur the wrath of the Aboriginal people so I'd just say to hunker down and keep blogging.

JJ said...

No, I don't think I have, at least not in this life. Yet there is something quietly but insistently menacing about so much rain. And I've noticed that the weather forecasters have lost their accustomed chirpiness. They look apologetic now: 'Sorry, but there's even more rain to come.' And then there's the fact that it's killed three people so far. Not much by Sandy or tsunami standards, but it still makes you think.