Thursday 8 November 2012

Resuming Normal Service.

I haven’t talked much about The Shire recently, have I? That’s partly because I haven’t had much to do with The Shire this past week or so. The growing imperative to get on top of the autumn clearance work has necessitated a temporary hiatus in the daylight rambles, and the only social event to have taken place since the pre-Hallowe’en bonfire seemed hardly worth attending.

But maybe the hiatus isn’t so temporary, because there’s another reason. The spot which is, for me, the most magical in all The Shire has lately been subjected to the incipient spread of various pollutants and bad blood, and this has led to the magic fading. I’ve always found that the appreciation of the wider environment depends on the maintenance of a comfortable base, and when cracks appear in the base, the rest crumbles. To those familiar with Mists, I might pose the question: if the Saxon horde were to invade Avalon itself, what price then the groves, springs and standing stones?

But, we make the best of what we have and march on. And maybe things will improve. Or maybe I’ll have to come to terms with the fact that the palpable but subtle magic that I used to feel here has been drowned by the not so subtle noise of the tram line mentality. Maybe there is no Avalon and Shire, just a place to live. In short, maybe I need to stop being fanciful and try to become normal like everybody else. But then I would have to stop being me, wouldn’t I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the normal one, and probably suffer as a result, for despite your fanciful ways, you may have a more realistic view of the world, and this is supposedly linked to depression. (But please don't become like everyone else).
And I love your NYC post.
NY

JJ said...

Thank you, Anon. I could say a hell of a lot on what is a big subject here, but where would I start? I do believe you have a point, though.

As for NYC... Mmm... Lots to say about that, so let me skip to the bottom line again. I've come to realise that the spirit of the Statue of Liberty isn't dead, and she stands in New York harbour. And I've attracted a number of people from NY into my orbit as a result of this blog, and they're damn fine people. And I know you have some very bad people in NY, but the place still seems to have the energy and will to rise above it. And I confess that I'm just trying to get a job with Ghostbusters here...

I'm joking, of course, but it's all about marrying the sensitive and compassionate to the strong and resilient. I'm still learning.