Saturday 10 November 2012

Questionnable Plurals and Crushed Magic.

No mist and mystery to enliven the walk tonight, just a rather large number of nice shiny stars.

I’m taking a bit of an interest in the stars lately. So far I’ve got pretty clued up on recognising Venus and Jupiter, which is a start I suppose. And I now know where the constellation of Taurus is, although I have to say that it requires a bit of a stretching of the imagination to see any picture of a bull. Mine doesn’t quite stretch that far, which is a source of endless shame.

What I keep getting drawn to at the moment is that little cluster of diddy stars up in the top right corner. They’re the Pleiades, apparently, and I’ve been reading up on them. The three most notable facts are:

1) They contain a number of brown dwarfs. Why they’re not dwarves, I don’t know, but apparently they’re not. And I also don’t yet know what the difference is between a brown dwarf, a black dwarf, a red dwarf, and a tortoiseshell dwarf, but I assume I will eventually. I expect the brown dwarves (sorry, dwarfs) are the most boring ones who have a regular job in the mines and talk about football all day.

2) Nobody knows how far away they are.  Several leading astronomers have calculated the distance, but they’ve all come up with different answers. This has, I gather, become something of an issue with leading astronomers and resulted in much huffing, puffing, and saying ‘ooh, get her!’ a lot.

3) I need to make the most of my sightings of the Pleiades (or the Seven Sisters as they’re also known) because they’re only expected to last another 250 million years.

No doubt my education will continue for as long as I remain domiciled in The Shire. This will obviously be rather less than 250 million years, and might be sooner than you think if a certain person doesn’t stop driving me mad by throwing a soggy blanket over the magic to be found here. Magic is hard to find, and I get very stressed when people who make a virtue of ordinariness crush it out of sheer ignorance.

No comments: