Thursday 8 November 2012

God, Storms and the Red Meanies.

God appears to be well settled in his high chair today, handing down punishments to the unworthy.

It must be obvious to all right thinking people that He it is who has commanded the second storm to ravage the north eastern states of the USA so soon after the first. They erred too much towards the colour blue, you see, and God is very much on the side of the Red Meanies. (Oddly enough, they’re the Blue Meanies in Britain, but never mind; I’m sure God doesn’t get confused.)

And for my trivial part in supporting Mr O, I’ve been given a nice little ear infection to contend with. I get shooting pains down the left side of my head every time I cough, hiccup or blow my nose. And I can’t hear properly on that side either.

No doubt we all deserved it, but I maintain my position through the rigours of Divine Retribution. Good luck, north eastern Americans. I wish you food, warmth, shelter, and all the positive aspects of the blitz mentality that we Brits exhibited when Adolf was trying to play God. These God people are a pretty nasty lot, you know, and we just have to face the bastards down. My thoughts are with you. I wish I could do more.

6 comments:

Wendy S. said...

I'm sorry you have an ear infection. One of the most painful illnesses I know. A warm towel laid across your ear might help when you lay down. Also, lots of garlic?

JJ said...

Garlic?! Garlic?! But I'm currently reading 'Dracula,' Wendy. I might start having strange dreams about young blonde women whose breath is sweet but with a biter undertone reminiscent of blood, and who want to bite my neck more than is good for me.

Is it expensive?

Actually, the 'ear infection' has eased a bit during the day, so now I'm wondering whether it's a side effect of something else like a head cold. Or maybe there's a change in the weather due. Changes in the weather wreak havoc on my soft tissues, as do young blonde women whose...

Oh, sorry, I've already done that one.

River said...

If you find yourself with a real ear infection, a drop of mullein oil in the ear does wonders. Wendy's idea is great, too.

As for the hurricane... we're at a critical point regarding climate change, and this disaster only serves to drive that notion further home. Will people interpret their immediate problems to be a result of a much, much larger one? Or will they just recover and return to their previous lives of gross consumption? And then what about the next hurricane?

It's amazing how people respond when put in a situation where they have no electricity, water, or even housing. Shows just how much -- or really, how little -- we need.

Hmm... I'll bet some folks would think me mean. But I'm not, just realistic.

JJ said...

I've made a note of the mullein oil. Thanks.

I'm coming to the view now that we've reached the point of no return with climate change. If we carry on consuming, it will probably just happen faster. If we stop consuming, we'll have economic meltdown. Either way, I think there are radical and painful changes coming. I wonder how long it will take the affected generations to adjust, get used to it, and settle down again.

River said...

You're right; there's no going back from here. The atmosphere already bears 392ppm of carbon dioxide, though we need to be somewhere around 350ppm. The only thing to do now is try to stop the ball from rolling further and deal with this new world we've created.

All this "development" and "progress" hurts my heart.

JJ said...

I think development and progress are inevitable imperatives of human aspiration, but I think we've become dangerously obsessed with the speed of development. It seems to have grown into a mania that's blinded us to nature and natural balances. I proposed in my novel that maybe the fall of Atlantis was not a myth from prehistory, but the forecast of a future apocalypse.