Friday 9 November 2012

Observing Mr O.

You know, I’m not much given to praising politicians. ‘Praiseworthy’ is not a word I would expect to find in any lexicon appropriate to the political arena. And yet the more I see of Obama, the more I see the possibility of a rare exception.

I would hazard the suggestion that he’s the first American President since Jimmy Carter to have the stamp of the statesman about him. There’s something about his calmness and his easy style, the way he manages to look smart without smelling of glue and plastic. When he smiles it looks real, and when he laughs it looks even more real. He has a sense of humour that is subtle, boyish and a little wicked; and, as Andrea points out, a good sense of humour is a damn fine quality in a person because it comes from somewhere genuine. And he has the courage to talk not just about the narrow illusion of ephemeral prosperity, but about a vision for a more just society. That says he understands people at all levels, and even cares for those who are disadvantaged by a complex range of circumstances. History has taught often enough just how much courage that takes in a country known for its endemic conservatism and the laxness of its gun control.

I hesitate to praise any politician too highly. I don’t suppose Mr O is entirely genuine, since I doubt that such a laudable quality is possible in the world of politics. Maybe the bailout of the automobile companies really was a ploy for election year. How can I know? Swing states need special treatment, don’t they? That’s the system which the candidate inherits. And he won’t get everything right, because nobody does. All in all, though, I am coming to the view that here is a man of heart, soul, guts, intelligence and fundamental honesty. For such an individual to have a prime place at the top table of world politics is perhaps a step forward for both the world and America.

3 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Did you watch the video i posted a link to as a comment on my blog? You'll get a good laugh out of it if you haven't already.

andrea kiss said...

I agree with you on what you said here about Obama. The First Lady's a good one, too.

JJ said...

Not yet - been too busy with other things. But I will.

Michelle is some impressive lady, isn't she? That speech she made before the election was a real eye-waterer, and my eyes only water when I'm convinced it's genuine. Which isn't often...