Monday 12 November 2012

Dissenting.

I just took some stuff to the recycling bins at the pub, and there’s a new promotional board outside. Apparently, there’s to be communal singing of Christmas carols around the Christmas tree on 14th December. I’m trying to do the communal thing, but I don’t like singing words I don’t believe so I suppose I’ll give that one a miss. Unless, that is, I feel in a combative mood and inclined to engage in a heated debate on the subject of why I find the whole Jesus story a bit delusional.

If only they’d light a communal solstice fire and honour the sub-deities of non-being. Then I wouldn’t have a problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what the heck. Just go and have a nice communal sing. I sing along to lots of songs whose lyrics aren't true e.g. "oh what a beautiful morning", "I've been working on the railroad", "I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy" etc. Think of it as a visit to another culture, then have your own Solstice celebration on the 21st.
NY

JJ said...

But at least Yankee Doodle Dandies are believable, which is more than can be said for shepherds washing their socks by night.

And I always have a bonfire on the solstice. I wonder whether I could persuade the villagers to join me this year. I wouldn't charge much.