Monday 26 November 2012

Real Music and the Trials of Time.

Here's a short video of a top notch Bulgarian tune being played by three top notch Irish musicians.

Donal Lunny on the left is still going strong, but with rather less hair. Andy Irvine in the middle is also still going strong, but with a much greyer beard. And the man playing the guitar to the right is Paul Brady. He's the bloke who was singing The Streets of Derry with My Lady Cara the other night: fatter of neck, fuller of brow, and with a waistline on which the ravages of time have enjoyed much amusement.

Andy Irvine, incidentally, is much more iconic to me than The Rolling Stones ever were. The reason I wouldn't pay £1,140 to see him in concert is only that I don't have it to spare. And besides, I saw him a couple of times at the theatre where I used to work, and it didn't cost me a penny.


No comments: