Monday 19 November 2012

An Odd Sort of Fairytale.

I’ve been reading about the woman who has gone on trial in Austria accused of murdering first her ex-husband and then her current partner, a charge she has admitted. It seems she subsequently cut their bodies into pieces and encased them in concrete in the basement of her ice cream parlour.

Not much of a story there, I suppose; we’ve heard it all before. What interested me was the fact that the psychiatric report said she was ‘like a princess who just wanted to be rescued by a man.’ It occurred to me that:

1) The feminists will probably be jotting the facts excitedly in their notebooks under the heading ‘Women Who Want to be Rescued.’

2) Goidsargi Estibaliz Carranza Zabala isn’t exactly a snappy name for a princess, is it? The men should have seen through that one.

3) I think we should issue a health warning to all frogs: Princesses May Be Perilous.

And as a footnote, it also appears that she kept their remains in her ice cream freezers for a while. I wonder which flavour.

No comments: