Monday 26 November 2012

Celebrating the Un-Ordinary.

I wonder whether anybody can tell me whether there is any significance to the fact of a full moon occurring on one’s birthday. Does it, perhaps, mark the final transition to complete lunatic?

And here’s a point. Stoker might have a poor grasp of credible plot devices, but he does write a damn good lunatic. The best three characters in Dracula so far are undoubtedly Renfield, who’s a lunatic, Lucy, who’s the posh girl who gets done for, and the Count himself, who is an out-and-out villain without a single redeeming feature. Van Helsing is OK most of the time, but even he is not only an eccentric but a foreign one to boot. The ordinary characters are really a bit insipid.

2 comments:

Wendy S. said...

Full moon on your bday? when's your bday, jeff? Any full moon heightens magick I know and if a full moon fell on my bday I would put out to the universe a wish that I wanted to happen. I know the old saying "be careful what you wish for..." but you don't seem like a person who makes unconscious wishes.

JJ said...

It's tomorrow, Wendy, the 28th, but I decided to forego magical processes. You inspired a little blog post.