Thursday 29 November 2012

Dog Star and Dog Devotion.

Tonight’s lesson: where to look for Sirius. OK, found it, but there’s a problem. I’m going to have to go out later at night if I want to see it, because it’s below the eastern horizon at the time I usually go out. The problem is, I don’t know how much later.

In coming by this intelligence, however, I also came across a nice story.

Prince Sidhistra went looking for heaven, along with his brothers and his dog, Svana. The brothers all gave up, but Sidhistra persevered and Svana stayed with him. Eventually he found it, but only he was allowed in; they wouldn’t take the dog. ‘Bugger that,’ says Sidhi. ‘It’s both of us or I don’t come in.’ They were both allowed in.

That’s a nice story, isn’t it? I’d shed a tear if only I could find a hand to squeeze.

No comments: