Friday 23 November 2012

The HSP Problem.

I’m just about convinced now of the reality of HSP and the fact that I’m prey to it, and it seems to have two fundamental features.

The first is greatly heightened awareness to everything around you. It’s caused, I gather, by the fact that the brain is wired differently from the norm. The second is greatly heightened sensitivity to those things which affect you psychologically or emotionally.

The relationship between the two is symbiotic, as you’d expect, but it seems to me that it’s the first of them that’s the major problem. It’s the aspect that makes mountains out of situations and issues that are mere molehills to other people. It’s all a matter of perception. You can’t change it and you can’t possibly explain it to those who don’t experience the world the same way. It’s why HSP types are misunderstood and often derided, and it’s why they go through life frequently having to put up with things that are rubbing their senses raw.

No doubt it’s why some people seek lonely garrets in which to distance themselves and be creative, and why a lot of them become dependent on alcohol or some other form of narcotic. I try to rely on a combination of reason and mental detachment, but it doesn’t always work.

4 comments:

Madeline said...

I read about that HSP book. I didn't realize they were allowed to write books about people without their permission. I'm going to sue for my share in the royalties.

JJ said...

Should I take this a declaration of interest in our exalted club, Maddie? It's nice to see your scarf on my blog. Quite made my day!

Madeline said...

If by "our exalted club" you mean the HSP population, I thought I was already the president. Or at least treasurer or something.

JJ said...

Then how do you do, Miss Madeline. I think it's probably a good thing that you get on with your parents. I didn't, and so I was effectively on my own from about age 12 onwards. And it surprises me now that I was about your age before I realised that 'normal' people weren't getting me. Before that I thought they were just stupid.

Fortunately, you seem to be multi-talented to an unusually high degree, and that's something that even normal people will probably respond to.