Friday 16 November 2012

Wampyr: Perilous in Pink.

I’m warming to Dracula – the novel, that is, not the wampyr. (I thought it would be cool and latter-day pretentious to call him a wampyr.) I wasn’t certain at first, since the initial sequence in which Jonathan takes a trip to Transylvania and gets incarcerated in the Count’s castle contains quite a lot that lacks credibility. Once you get beyond that to Dracula’s voyage to Whitby, however, it becomes surprisingly atmospheric and rather creepier than any of the film versions I’ve seen. My favourite character so far is Renfield, who is even madder than me and doesn’t mind admitting it.

I gather Stoker based his description of Castle Dracula on one of the Scottish castles – Dunnotar, I think, but I’m not sure. And I’ll bet you didn’t know that Lochmaben Castle in south west Scotland is reputed to be haunted by a vampire – supposedly the father of Robert the Bruce. A cashier at the petrol station there told me he wears pink and bounces up and down as though he’s on an invisible pogo stick. I’m serious, and so was she.

No comments: