Sunday 28 October 2012

God and Charlie.

I was just reading about an Arkansas Republican politician called Charlie Fuqua. Among other things, he believes that:

1) All Muslims should be expelled from America because they deny the divinity of Jesus.

2) Muslims and liberals are in an unholy alliance, and liberals are preparing to change the world through bloody revolution.

3) America should introduce the death sentence as the final sanction against ‘disrespectful’ children. This, he says, is in accordance with God’s wishes and will set a good example to young people.

I imagine he probably rues the fact that we no longer burn witches to death. And I wonder how he addresses the fact that, according to the canonical Gospels, Jesus explicitly instructed his followers to disobey God. And I’m curious to know whether he realises how much he has in common with Hitler and the Taliban. And is he aware that the Crusaders are known to have slaughtered the whole civilian population of a city, or that European missionaries ordered the same act in an African town, just because the population wasn’t Christian? And then there’s the matter of whether the Republican Party can possibly retain any credibility if they permit such a man to represent them.

Well, it’s easy to laugh at the likes of Mr Fuqua in the modern world, and he’s entitled to his opinions as we all are. What concerns me a little is this:

I don’t understand the mechanics of American politics, but I assume that a majority of people must have voted for him in some election. A majority? Need I state the obvious?

2 comments:

Rhissanna said...

Welcome to Arkansas! And thank you for this blog post. Mr Fuqua (I'm still not sure how to pronounce it, but I'm sure he's been called a 'Fucker' to his face before) might indeed be elected, because the Deep South works hard to keep those stereotypes. Anyone with an education moves out, if they can.

If you can get an education. Arkansas, where you can be home-schooled and still sleep with teacher...

JJ said...

Well, Beverley, I do hope you manage to get out before they build the walls and watchtowers along the State line.