Monday 8 October 2012

A Sheep in Wolf's Clothing?

My nightly walks are in the habit of being interrupted by the man from New House Farm roaring down the lane in his big silver pick up truck. It has banks of lights mounted on a bar at the front and along the top of the cab – all very American to an English perception - and his approach reminds me of a scene from Close Encounters, especially if it’s misty.

I have to say, however, that for all his pugnacious appearance and uncompromising manner, he does exhibit a commendable degree of courtesy. He always flashes said lights and slows down when he gets close – presumably to acknowledge my presence and avoid killing me. Which reminds me of the time I caught him rescuing a cute baby rabbit from a predatory magpie that was trying to peck its eyes out. Just goes to show that judging a man by his appearance can be deceptive.

No comments: