Thursday 18 October 2012

Ashbourne 17/10.

I’ve been searching the charity shops for a good winter coat to go out rambling in. I found a superb one today – almost pristine condition, very good quality, heavy so it was probably warm, just my size, and only £9.99. I’ll bet it cost £150 new. Just one problem: it was white, which isn’t the best colour for climbing over gates, getting scraped by hedges, and possibly slipping on a cow pat and landing in something green and slimy.

*  *  *

The supermarket didn’t have my beer. What’s more, the 8-pack I bought last week has a product recall notice on it due to the danger of there being broken glass in the odd bottle. So what do I do with the seven bottles currently in my fridge? I decant them into the new cafetiere/French press that’s been sitting in a cupboard for months, then pour the beer into the glass through the filter. Yay?

*  *  *

I saw my little friend the Yorkie again today. He’d had a haircut and looked very smart. Thankfully, he wasn’t too protective of it to let me stroke him again.

*  *  *

I took a look at the cupcakes calendar. It consisted of twelve pictures of standard cupcakes, each with different coloured balls on top. Now that’s what I call creative.

*  *  *

I realised today that of the two local towns, Ashbourne is the one that’s cut off from the mainstream. That’s nice – unless you happen to want a cinema, some major retailers or a railway station, which the other one’s got but Ashbourne hasn’t.

*  *  *

And I saw a ghost there today, which acknowledged my presence briefly before moving on. Oddly enough, I was more intrigued than hurt. Life’s just a virtual reality game after all.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

The ghost of a coat? Haha.

But no, a white wool coat doesn't sound very attractive.

Where did you see the ghost? What was it doing? What did it look like? I need details :)

JJ said...

Sorry to disappoint, I was using the term metaphorically. It was the ghost of a stillborn relationship, though what kind of relationship I never knew and never shall. You could always google the last verse of 'Raglan Road,' if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

On the bright side, had you bought the coat and fallen in enough cow pies, it would no longer be white.

JJ said...

No, I suppose it would have one bright side and one green side.