Thursday 25 October 2012

Portmore Revisited.

Farmer Andrew came with his tractor-mounted machine and trimmed my long boundary hedges yesterday evening. He’s taken it down a good four feet, and this morning I watched the birds hopping about on top of the greatly reduced hedge. Their body language was odd; they looked bemused; they reminded me of the line from the song Bonny Portmore, about the destruction of Irish woodland to make ships for the Royal Navy:

All the birds in the forest they bitterly weep, saying
‘Where shall we shelter? Where shall we sleep?’

It isn’t quite that bad, but I still feel sorry for the little guys.

2 comments:

River said...

Methinks you may enjoy this:

Winter Scene

"There is now not a single
leaf on the cherry tree:
except when the jay
plummets in, lights, and
in pure clarity, squalls:
then every branch
quivers and
breaks out in blue leaves."

-A.R. Ammons

JJ said...

Thank you, River. Ammons and I seem to share an interest, only he expresses it better than I do.