Friday 26 October 2012

A Phobia, Fruity Beer, and a Consummation.

I got really fed up with sitting at the computer tonight, trying desperately but in vain to think of a suitable subject for posting. I wasn’t in the best of spirits, you see, because the side symptoms of fatigue are much in evidence and I’m experiencing the old circular relationship between fatigue and stress: they feed on one another and get on my nerves.

So I decided to switch off the computer and do some ironing instead, and I thought it would be good to have an accompaniment of some nice classical music. Only I discovered (or re-discovered) something interesting. I dislike classical music after dark. It depresses me. I seem to have a nocturnal phobia regarding classical music once the curtains are drawn against the night, and I haven’t a clue as to why.

I got over it, but now I have two more irritations to contend with:

1) I forgot to take some bread out of the freezer, so I can’t have a houmous and cucumber sandwich.

2) The beer I got in lieu of my usual brand (which they haven’t re-stocked yet since the recall) doesn’t suit me. It’s true to what it says on the can: ‘With fruit and hop notes.’ Hop notes are OK; fruit notes aren’t. Let’s put it this way. You’d happily walk down the street eating an apple, wouldn’t you? But you wouldn’t walk down the street eating a handful of hops. Hops are suited to flavouring beer; fruit isn’t. Fruit is for healthy eaters and wine drinkers. I might be strange, but I’m not that strange and I don’t want my beer tasting of fruit.

I think I should watch some more Mitchell and Webb and then go to bed. Do you know, every time I go to bed these days (nights) I half expect to wake up and find the priestess regarding me with an apologetic smile, and saying ‘Sorry, Jeff, this isn’t a dream. You died.’ Oh, well…

No comments: