Thursday 11 October 2012

Menace, Unseen or Imagined.

I discovered tonight that Church Lane is not only the prettiest of the lanes in these parts, but also the darkest at night. I don’t know why that should be. Maybe it’s because it’s the narrowest, or maybe it’s because the hedges haven’t been trimmed there yet and maybe they block out more of what little light there is available on a rainy, moonless night.

I took a detour along there on my way back from the usual walk, almost as far as the old copse that sits on top of the rise. And that was when I felt the same sense that I described in a story once – a sense that there was some menace nearby, a menace that was real in spite of the rational mind telling me that this was England in the 21st century and there were lighted houses only a few hundred yards across the fields.

On my way back there was much turning around and shining of torches, which didn’t help because the dim eye and fanciful mind readily conspire to make suspicious shapes of innocent shadows. The sense of being followed wasn’t that easily dispelled. I had the same problem as a child and it’s never entirely left me; and it was surprising how long it took to laugh it off when I got home.

There isn’t really anything of menace in the old copse on top of the rise in Church Lane, is there? Well, almost certainly not. But the night has a powerful presence, and who knows what it might harbour, even in 21st century England?

8 comments:

andrea kiss said...

We are getting closer to that end of October veil.

JJ said...

Sounds like the plot of MR James's 'Casting the Runes,' when the demon's homicidal manifestation is getting closer. And I plagiarised the idea in 'The Bargain.'

andrea kiss said...

Oh, for shame.

JJ said...

But it got published!

andrea kiss said...

Worse. Scandalous!

JJ said...

The only scandal around here is a fallen woman. Get thee behind me, Peanut, and come and visit me before it's too late. I want to talk to you.

andrea kiss said...

HAHA!

I would love to! I hope to visit England one of these days, sooner than later... another hope. And when i do i'll visit.

JJ said...

I'll ask them to save you a teaspoon of ashes.