Friday 19 October 2012

The Little Matter of Chemistry.

I was thinking again this morning about what it takes for me to get on with somebody. It isn’t just about shared interests and/or attitudes, although that might be the starting point. There’s something more subtle than that; it’s about feeling comfortable with somebody at a deeper level. It’s about compatible chemistry or energies or call it what you will. I’ve known people who were pretty much the opposite of me, or even opposed in some cases, and yet I’ve felt comfortable with their close proximity. And the converse has also been true.

So what happens when we change, as we constantly do – as our attitudes and personality and opinions and experience change? Does our chemistry have to change with it, or is our chemistry a more constant thing? I suspect it is, but I really don’t know.

No comments: