Saturday 27 October 2012

Pacing the Approach.

It’s interesting how some new acquaintances approach you slowly, watching you with every step and deciding whether to take another one, while others leap in and say ‘I’m here. Be my friend now!’ (With a carefully considered exclamation mark.)

I tend towards the latter approach, but I’m aware that explosive conflagrations have a habit of consuming fuel quickly – too quickly to allow for sustainable regeneration – and then dying with devastating suddenness. I’m not very good at being circumspect, but I’m practising.

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I'm always wary of people like that... a lot of them have plenty of baggage and need too much attention and validation. Just my experience, anyway.

But i suppose some of them are just lonely... sometimes have no friends... and sometimes for good reason.

JJ said...

You're right, of course. In my case, however, it's more to do with the fact that I'm very fussy and very impatient. When I encounter a rare example of a person I want to know, I don't want to wait and tend to throw caution to the wind. That's my Tigger side.