Friday 26 October 2012

Resisting Nature.

The Shire is shivering in a stiff, sub-arctic breeze tonight. The hunter’s moon is only three days away and the wood for the Hallowe’en bonfire is occupying much of the pub car park. Chimneys in old cottages and farmhouses now have smoke billowing out of them after nightfall.

I find this the most difficult of the year’s transitions. By the time winter starts officially at the solstice, I’ve become acclimatised to the lower temperatures and take them for granted. But a cold spell in autumn brings the onset of chills, extreme tiredness and low moods. And I think this must be a natural thing because it was never such an issue when I lived in the town. I think this is nature telling me that the land has gone to sleep, so maybe I should, too.

Tonight’s attempt to ward off nature’s imperative consists of hot buttered toast and mugs of tea which steam in my unheated kitchen. At the moment it’s being reasonably successful, and I’ll take a shower some time before midnight which will probably work even better. Nature has no knowledge of hot water in this part of the world, and so has no guard against it.

No comments: