Friday 26 October 2012

In Defence of the Pop.

I wrote a blog post once about how I chose to write a dream sequence in a story whilst under the influence of several scotches. Doing it that way made it more authentic.

And there’s a general point here. The reason I so like having a few drinks late at night is because it filters my perception through a different brand of consciousness. The everyday, sober sort is all right up to a point, but I want more than that. The Romantic poets had their laudanum, after all.

I suspect that’s true of a lot of us, and I further suspect that it’s what those weasly people who self-righteously demand that we all drink ‘in moderation’ (as they define it) simply don’t understand. They’re incapable of seeing beyond their prosaic mentalities. As my friend Melanie once said to me: ‘alcoholics are usually very sensitive souls.’

Nevertheless, I’m glad I have sufficient self-control not to become an alcoholic. So far.

No comments: