Sunday 21 October 2012

Considering Quality.

I’ve just opened the bottle of Glenmorangie 10-year-old malt that somebody bought me for doing her tax return.

I wonder why they package good quality scotch better than they do the ordinary stuff. I can’t imagine that the difference in production cost is significant. Maybe they do it for the same reason that Bentley cars have matching wood grain on both doors – so they can spend an extra £20 and charge an extra £20,000 for the perception of luxury. In the case of single malt scotch (how I would appreciate a case of single malt scotch) it’s probably because the cork stopper that goes squeeeek – POP! when you open it make you feel like you matter.

Whatever, it tastes good. And it’s interesting that a large malt has far more of a soporific effect than a large blend, even though they have the same alcohol content. Maybe somebody can tell me why.

No comments: