Thursday 8 March 2012

A Moot Point.

The question is this:

If a tree falls in a forest and there’s nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?

The correct answer is ‘yes and no.’ It's all a matter of semantics.

There are those who argue that sound is created as soon as the air is disturbed to make a ‘sound wave.’ Others argue that the definition of sound requires that it be detected by the ear or some other receptive device. Until that happens, there is only a vibrating column of air that has the potential to become sound.

Take your pick, but don’t let it disturb your sleep. If the neighbour’s dog barks all night, that’s a different matter.

In outer space, of course, there’s no air to vibrate, so the answer is simple. Don’t bother screaming.

6 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Like the nightmares where you open your mouth and no sound comes out!!! have I been space travelling I wonder...

JJ said...

Quite possibly, or it could just be an inadequacy complex.

Why are you up so late Melanie?

Anthropomorphica said...

Pondering and lots of research I think it was. Inadequacy, that's one to think about...

JJ said...

Inadequacy was a joke, Mel. It just reminded me of a dream I used to have as a kid, in which I was fighting somebody but my arms were heavy and wouldn't move fast enough to deliver a telling blow.

Anthropomorphica said...

left you a message about running through treacle and serious moods, albeit temporarily and it seems to have be eaten by the internet monster!! If this goes too I'll know it's a conspiracy...

JJ said...

Got this one. It felt like I was moving in treacle coming back from my walk tonight. Very fatigued, hence why no posts today.