Wednesday 28 March 2012

Three Notes on the Progression of Young Women.

As I was walking past the village pub tonight I fancied a pint, but I had no money on me so I walked on.

For some reason it reminded me of being fifteen and going on holiday with my friend Barry. Neither of us had yet developed a drinking habit – that was to come a few months later in my case – but we both fancied a taste of beer one night, and so we bought a bottle and shared it while we walked along the beach in the darkness.

Two older teenage girls came past watching us. One of them spoke:

‘Have you two drunk that whole bottle of beer? All on your own? Wow!’

It was the first intimation I had of the predilection for sarcasm which young women are wont to display towards teenage boys. I suppose it’s a pre-emptive attempt to establish the dominant psychological position for later use. And yet, interestingly, they only seem to do it when they have the support of a group or companion.

*  *  *

Having paid her close respects to both Jupiter and Venus over the past three nights, the young but burgeoning moon is now moving off eastwards into the darker part of the sky. Soon she will take up her position as unchallenged Queen of the Firmament, before fading with little grace as all monarchs do. The difference is that she will be back a couple of weeks later to run the cycle all over again.

*  *  *

I realised tonight that Abi and I live in completely different worlds. She lives in a young woman’s world, replete with physical friends and myriad activities. I, on the other hand, inhabit a sort of twilight zone in which there is Helen at a distance, my daughter at a greater distance, and a group of ghostly people scattered around cyberspace who talk to me through the ether.

No comments: